Thursday, May 17, 2018

Fun Experiment to Grow Buttercrunch Lettuce

Summer this year I plant butter-crunch lettuce for the first time. I didn't grow it from the seed but bought the baby plant from Walmart for $1.50. I wanted to know what the issues I would face during my planting.

When I harvested this afternoon, I considered using a cut-and-come-again method by cutting the entire plant at the base and leaving a short stub to re-sprout; or to extend the harvest, I can pick outer leaves first an allow the center leaves to enlarge.

Harvested on Thursday, May 17, 2018

Baby slug was the main problem I faced because too much rain during this week. When flipping the leaves, I saw many baby slugs on the ground. That was why after I cut the entire plant at the base, I left a short stub to re-sprout. Then I washed the leaves in the running water. That is the best way to clean them.

Taken on Thursday, May 17, 2018


Lettuce
Iceberg lettuce in SB.jpg
lettuce field
Scientific classificatione
Kingdom:Plantae
Clade:Angiosperms
Clade:Eudicots
Clade:Asterids
Order:Asterales
Family:Asteraceae
Genus:Lactuca
Species:L. sativa
Binomial name
Lactuca sativa
L.
Synonyms[1][2]

DESCRIPTION

Common Name: Lettuce Buttercrunch
Botanical Name: Lactuca sativa Buttercrunch
Family: Asteraceae
Lettuce Buttercrunch, Lactuca sativa Buttercrunch, : Originating in India during ancient times, lettuce is one of the oldest, most popular salad vegetables. Buttercrunch has dark green tinted, wavy, yellow leaves, with a flattish open but tightly bunched fan-shape to each. Crisp and sweet, with a pleasant buttery taste.  The baby leaves are highly rated for salads.  A good source of vitamin A and phytonutrients. Slow bolting (running to seed). Enjoys near neutral, rich well drained soil. Whilst heat tolerant, most lettuce dislike very hot conditions and will tolerate some shade. Keep moist during growing period. Seed may be planted at 4 week intervals during the warmer months to provide a succession of this lovely salad vegetable.  70 days.
Sowing Advice
Sow lettuce seed on surface and barely cover during spring summer and autumn. Do not allow seed bed to get really dry. Thin gradually, thinnings may be used in salads. In warmer climates  plants may benefit from a few hours of afternoon shade during the hotter summer months.  Prefers rich moist, near neutral soils .  Consecutive, small plantings will give a continuous crop throughout the warmer months. 70 days.

 ~ ~ ~ * * * ~ ~ ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment