Thursday, June 29, 2017

Fun Experiment to Grow Hydrangea

This is not my first experiment. I grew Hydrangea arborescens (Annabelle) from bare root for the first time in early autumn 2005 at the front yard at our new house. In the second year the flowers started to grow. More year, more flower grew. In the third year, I had an idea to do an experiment by doing vegetative reproduction from strong stems. I planted several stems and they grew successfully. Even I grew the biggest Hydrangea ever--almost 30 cm in diameter. WOW! I cut several of the biggest flowers and dried them. I still have them now in the vase on the top of my refrigerator.

Because of that great experiment, when we moved to other renovated house in early winter 2011, I cut couple of strong stems and planted them in the pots. In early spring they grew and I transplanted them on the ground (back yard). The first year of growing, a neighbor whom we paid to cut the grass had cut them all when he was cutting the grass in our back yard. He thought they were weeds. I was very mad and almost cried. We decided not to use him anymore to cut the grass in our backyard. I could not believe it if he wasn't able to recognize the plants and the weeds, and even they grew on the neat spot that everyone would know if someone had planted them.

Anyway, I had to wait again for another year to grow. Finally, only one that could survive. I took care of it very carefully and didn't want it die because it had memory from our old house. In the following year, the flowers started to grow. Not many, only couple flowers. I was so happy! I did the several vegetative reproductions again and recently I have five beautiful Hydrangea plants.

This year is the third year of my Hydrangea growing. I enclose some pictures below of the third year of my Hydrangea. During late spring till early autumn, I always have them in the vase in my living room or dinning room. I also gave some to my neighbors. This made them so happy.

Enjoy the flowers!

First picture taken in spring (May 2017)


Second picture taken: about a week after the first picture.


 
Third picture taken: about several days after the second picture.


Third picture was taken from different angle.

Beautiful Hydrangea in the vase.


Hydrangea arborescens
Hydrangea arborescens 001.JPG
Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Asterids
Order: Cornales
Family: Hydrangeaceae
Genus: Hydrangea
Species: H. arborescens
Binomial name
Hydrangea arborescens [1]
L.

Source: Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment